1. Program at Glance
Darmasiswa is a non-degree scholarship program offered to all overseas students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to undertake studies of language, arts, and culture. Participants will be participating in one of 50 different universities located in different cities in Indonesia, and ISI Denpasar is one of them who has been administering this program since academic year 1998 under direction of the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia.
Historically, the Darmasiswa program was started in 1974 as part of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) initiative. It is admitting students from ASEAN only. However, in 1976 this program was extended to include students from other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and USA. In early 90’s, this program was extended further to include all countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. Until up-to-date, the number of participating countries in this program is 86 countries.
The main purpose of the Darmasiswa program is to promote and increase the interest in the language and culture of Indonesia among the youth of other countries. It has also been designed to provide stronger cultural links and mutual understanding among participating countries. For the future, this program will also be developed to support world class University and intercollegiate cooperation
2. Participation Rates
The number and interest of overseas students to participate in this program especially at ISI Denpasar since 1998 up to 2017 can be seen in the following table;
Number of Students/Country of Origin/ Year
|No||Country of Origin||Academic Year
From - up to
|Number of Student|
Number of Students/Program of Study/ Year
|No||Program of Study||Academic Year||Number of Student|
|A||FACULTY OF PERFORMING ARTS|
|4||MUSIC DANCE DRAMA|
|B||FACULTY OF VISUAL ART AND DESIGN|
|3||VISUAL COMMUNICATION DESIGN|
|7||TV & FILM|
3. Goal Of the Program
- To provide a high-quality and multi-cultured workforce for international communities while promoting and increasing the interest in language, art, and culture of Indonesia among the youth of other countries.
- To make cross-bordered education a reality for overseas students without time consuming, costly, and complicated procedure.
- To apply this program as a driver of Indonesian soft diplomacy as a representation of Indonesian foreign policy
4. Plan of theProgram
- To provide the opportunities for overseas students to learn Indonesian language, art, and culture between 6-12 months (1-2 semester).
- To develop facilities and infrastructure policy for inbound program mechanisms of Darmasiswa to accommodate the incoming overseas students.
- To develop quality resources in all areas of expertise and to take part actively in the Darmasiswa program.
- To develop quality education in order to meet the demands of international societies.
- To improve the standard quality of information technology.
- To improve understanding of art and culture.
5. Objective of the Program
- To internationalize Indonesian Higher Education System.
- To support the development of Indonesian Higher education into world class university.
- To give maximum support for Indonesian soft diplomacy as a representation of Indonesian foreign policy.
- To provide stronger socio-cultural links and understanding between Indonesia and other countries.
For ISI Denpasar
- To implement capabilities to meet the target for being the international center of excellent in the field area of art and culture.
- To seek an effort to broaden network to the overseas higher education institutions.
- To develop international academic atmosphere based on the cultural exchange experienced from the students who join the program.
- To generate new thoughts derived from inbound students.
For Students of ISI Denpasar
- To obtain intensive interaction with overseas student as a representation of international association experiences.
- To increase hard and soft skills through knowledge sharing with overseas students.
- To provide better understanding of socio-cultural differences.
6. Paradigm of the Program
The paradigm of the program is based on reciprocal principle. This principle applies for overseas students in a scheme of tuition fees waiver, monthly allowance, language, art, and culture learning and promotion. Darmasiswa Program is under the coordination of Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation of the Ministry of Education and Culture.
7. Non-Transferable Credit
The credits are earned by students during participating Darmasiswa Program or in other word attending courses at ISI Denpasar should be non-transferable to home university. Courses taken at ISI Denpasar cannot be transferred into equivalent courses in home university. It is because the nature of this program is a non-degree/non-transfer of credit program.
However, students should be able to meet a minimum 75 % teaching and learning process that is set by ISI Denpasar based on Darmasiswa Program rules of conduct. Overseas students are given wide opportunities to attend courses that they prefer to impart understanding of local art and culture that are offered by ISI Denpasar.
8. Available Program of Study
There are 12 Programs of Studies set by ISI Denpasar for overseas students namely;
- Karawitan/Traditional Music/Gamelan.
- Music Dance Drama.
- Visual Art.
- Interior Design.
- Visual Communication Design.
- Fashion Design.
- Art Craft.
- TV & Film
By organizing this program ISI Denpasar would be able to explore and cultivate capabilities, expertise, and professionalism of human resources which would contribute for educational development. In addition, overseas students would be able to cultivate their personal potential, knowledge, and insight besides fostering mutual understanding and respect to other cultures. The breakdowns of the benefits of this program are bellow in turns, as ISI Denpasar would be able to;
- Improve ability to provide an international environment.
- Develop personal and socio-cultural links with students from other countries.
- Generate strong sense togetherness, as part of the readiness toward internationalization of higher education.
- Create a strong connectivity and to develop on-going student networks as a great asset in the future.